Connect with us

Society

“No Terrorist Base In South-West” — DHQ Declares, Vows Rescue Of Abducted Pupils

said the armed forces had deployed troops into the forests to track down the perpetrators

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says troops have intensified operations across forest corridors in the south-west following the abduction of pupils and staff from schools in Oriire local government area of Oyo state.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Major General Michael Onoja, director of defence media operations, said the armed forces had deployed troops into the forests to track down the perpetrators and secure the release of the victims.

The military also dismissed reports suggesting that terrorists have established a permanent operational base in the south-west region.

The attack affected Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School in Oriire LGA.

General Olufemi Oluyede, chief of defence staff, described the incident as “a callous and reprehensible act that strikes at the heart of every Nigerian”.

He said the armed forces would ensure “the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim”.

“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim,” the statement reads.

Oluyede extended sympathies to the families of the victims, the Oyo state government and residents of the state, while urging Nigerians to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies.

The DHQ said the attack should not be interpreted as evidence of an entrenched terrorist presence in the south-west.

“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region,” the statement reads.

The military said troops had earlier conducted “a comprehensive clearance operation” within the Old Oyo National Park, neutralising criminal elements operating in the area.

“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region,” the DHQ said.

The defence headquarters warned against narratives capable of creating panic or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups.

“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence,” the statement added.

According to the military, troops recently made contact with the abductors and have continued pursuit operations after regrouping.

“Troops made contact with the criminal elements two days ago, have since reorganized, and are continuing the search and pursuit operations with full determination,” the DHQ said.

The military said operations are being carried out in collaboration with other security agencies, local vigilantes and residents providing human intelligence.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria,” the statement added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 + 3 =
Powered by MathCaptcha

Copyright © 2026 SocietyNow.